I have the same relationship with binge drinking that say, a 23 year old would have. Problem is, I was 23 seven years ago. A lot of my friends are like this too, I guess. When we go out, we drink. Except that sometimes I don’t have the little angel on my shoulder telling me that I’ve had to much or had enough and it’s time to go home. So I either stay up and end up doing something stupid, or if I manage to not embarrass myself, I still feel bad the next day. Hangovers are a bitch when you’re thirty, let me tell you.
So, after quite a day of bar hopping last weekend, Jason and I decided that we wouldn’t drink until after the Peachtree which is on July 4th. I was gchatting with a friend yesterday and I mentioned that I hadn’t had a drink in six days. His response, “What, are you pregnant?” See why it’s hard?
It’s not physically hard; my body isn’t craving a drink or anything. But it’s just sometimes I don’t know what to do with myself if I’m not going to a bar with my friends. I know that I could go and have a diet coke or something but I know well enough that that’s not going to happen. And so, in an effort to not make alcohol such a big part of my life, I end up turning down invitations from friends and that’s not what I want either.
Return to Eden, an organic grocery store near my house, re-opened recently. I’m not sure why it was closed, but it was for a few months. Some things are cheaper there (veggie burgers, tofu things of the sort) and other things are more expensive (canned goods). Fortunately, it’s next door to Publix, so it’s easy to get the beans and stuff there instead.
I found all kinds of fun things at RTE:
roasted edamame with goji berries, fat free yogurt, guiltless gourmet mediterranean wrap, spelt tortillas, better than cream cheese, baked ramen, 100 calorie glenny’s brownie, 100 calorie glenny’s brown rice krispie treat, tofu, fage with peach, indian packaged meals.
Of course now that I am home, I don’t feel like eating. I don’t know what’s wrong with me. I just haven’t been that hungry at night. Not that I’m complaing.
I can home tonight to a horrible smell. I guess it was from the mound of dishes pilling up in my sink. Old kale, fish residue and parts of an omlette do not a good smell make. The first thing that I thought when I walked in the door was, “This smells like shit.” which led to the Outkast song, “Roses” to be stuck in my head. “You know you like to think that your shit don’t stink…”
My internet is pissing me off. A couple days ago the modem wasn’t working. I had a call with Comcast that got nowhere and ended with them telling me to exchange the modem. I was all set to haul up to Marietta but then it started working again. So, now my router is acting up. I reset it and all seems well…for now.
So normally when I’m not distracted by a hideous odor when I walk in the door, the first thing that I think about is how hungry I am. I have never been one of those people that could wait to eat. It’s like home = dinner. It’s kind of a pain because most people eat later. I can’t tell you how many dinner invitations that I’ve turned down because I’ve already eaten. It also leads to late night snacking. Today, however, was different. For some reason, I’m not hungry. I think it’s because I had the perfect snack. 1 container Nonfat greek yogurt mixed with some blueberries and some walnut pieces. The perfect combo of carbs, protein and fat. I’ll have to try this combo again. Too bad the Fage is so damn expensive. I need to make a trip to TJ’s for their generic version.
I slacked big time last night. I was all like, “I’m going for a run,” which turned into, “It’s too hot, I’ll just rest for a half an hour and then run, which turned into, “Fuck, I slept for an hour and a half and now it’s dark out and I can’t go to the gym because I’ll miss the Real World.” Slackah.
And sometimes they’re not. I’m talking about Kale Chips of course. Kale Chips, for the unaware, are made by spraying some kale with some olive oil or cooking spray and some seasoning and then baking for about 20 minutes. The other night, Jason went to the grocery store to get some bok choy for our dinner. He couldn’t find any, so he came home with kale instead. No problem, I thought, I’ll just make kale chips. I went through a kale chip phase a few months ago where I couldn’t get enough. They never exactly tasted like chips to me, but they were good. Now, not so much. I don’t know why, but tonight I just wasn’t feeling it.
This is my first post using wordpress. It’s going to take me a minute to get to know the lay of the land.
I’m not sure what’s up with my header. I changed it a little bit but it’s supposed to be the same color as before, not this strange blue. It looks normal when I open it in Photoshop or Preview.
Anyway, the reason for my new header is that I decided that talking solely about what I eat everyday is sort of boring. At first, I was inspired by a bunch of popular food bloggers and thought it’d be a cool thing to do. But then I realized that taking a bunch of food pictures is not that fun and I’m way too lazy. So I decided that I should talk about other things too. I am more than just what I eat and how much I weigh. Sure, that stuff takes up a huge chunk of my brain, but there are plenty of other things in there too.
So, a non-food about me type dealio.
35 things about me:
1. What is your occupation? My actual title is Graphic Production Coordinator. Don’t ask me to explain what that means.
2. What color are your socks? I am sans socks at the moment.
3. What are you listening to right now? The music that is myself typing.
4. What was the last thing you ate. Skinny Dipper popsicle
5. Can you drive a stick shift? Damn straight
6. If you were a crayon, what color would you be? Silver
7. Last person you were on the phone with? Jason
8. Do you like the person that sent this to you? I stole it from a random blog. I have no idea.
9. Favorite Drink? Diet Coke although I’ve given up the crack to some extent.
10. What is your favorite sport to watch? I’m not very sporty
11. Have you ever dyed your hair? Yes
12.Pets? I really want a Golden Retriever.
13. Favorite Food? Hmm, sushi, hummus, salsa, avocado, tuna, soft serve ice cream.
14. Last movie you watched? Sex and the City
15. Favorite day of the year? Whatever day’s a holiday.
16. What do you do to vent anger? Cry or call my mother.
17. What was your favorite toy as a child? I liked dolls. I also had these paper people that I drew and played school with. I was a strange child.
18. What is your favorite? Fall or Spring? Probably spring.
19. Hugs or Kisses? I like both.
20. What kind of pie? Pumpkin or lemon merengue. Key lime is good too.
21. Living arrangements? I live by myself.
22. When was the last time you cried? I’m not sure. The happy pills kinda stop that.
23. What is on the floor of your closet? Clothes
24. Who is the friend you’ve had the longest that you are tagging? I’m not tagging anyone. Jason is the only one who reads this, maybe Lauren too. If they want to be tagged, go for it.
25. The friend that you have known the shortest amount of time that you are tagging? No answer
26. Favorite smell? Cookies. And candles that smell like cookies
27. What inspires you? My friends.
28. What are you afraid of? Losing people that I love, losing my job, Right-Wing Conservatives
29. Plain, cheese, or spicy hamburgers? Veggie burgers. No cheese.
30. Favorite cat breed? Im not a cat person.
31. Number of keys on your key ring? Probably like 6-7. There are some mystery ones on there for sure.
32. How many years at your current job? 1.5 years.
33. Favorite day of the week? Saturday.
34. How many provinces have you lived in? I will change this to how many states have you lived in? 3 – Maryland, Vermont and Georgia
35. How many countries have you been to? 5 – Canada, Spain, England, Ireland, France, Italy
I wish my cousin would send me my camera. I had a fun weekend and have no pictures to document it by. I might just have to suck it up and buy another one; I’m not so sure how reliable my cousin is. You know, since he ignored my text and email about the camera.
We went to a new restaurant on Saturday night – Zaya. It was middle eastern. I heart that type of food. We got a baba ghanoush appetizer to start off with. Oddly enough, I like baba ghanoush although I don’t like eggplant. I had the vegetarian platter. It came with hummus, spinach, tabbuleh and lentil stew. The service left much to be desired but I’ll give them the benefit of the doubt; it’s a new restaurant and it was crowded.
I had a busy day on Sunday. Jason and I had tickets to a Braves game so we decided to get brunch beforehand. We went to the Brewhouse. They have a special of two breakfast entrees and a pitcher of Bloody Mary’s for $25. Now who can turn that down? Unfortunately, I didn’t choose wisely. I got the tofu scramble which sounds healthy but was just drenched in butter/oil. Of course, I still ate it but it wasn’t even that good. After brunch, we made our way to Turner Field and watched the game for a few hours. Afterwards, it was still pretty early so we decided to go to the Highlands for another drink. Jason ordered a hamburger at Moe’s & Joe’s and pretty much devoured all of his fries. *embarrassed face* After our VA-HI excursion, which included more than one drink, we made our way to Piedmont Park for Unplugged in the Park. The main band was A Fine Frenzy but we were tired and didn’t end up staying. I actually ran into this guy that I graduated high school with. That’s not common considering I grew up almost 600 miles away. After we left, we got some food from Trader Joe’s and went home to eat it and pass out. We were fast asleep by 9:30.
If only I had my camera to document the fun. And the greasy tofu.
I don’t know where my time has gone. The whole not being able to surf the internet at work thing really puts a damper on my career as a blogger. I can read other people’s blogs (hello copy and paste) but as for updating my own, I just seem to forget.
Anywho, I’m still alive and sans camera. I left it at a friend of my cousin’s house in Maryland and am patiently waiting for my cousin to send it back to me.
So no pics, not that I have made any delectable creations anyway.