Taking a cue from Sarah and Chandra, I decided to review my 2009 New Years Resolutions and see how I did. That’s the good thing about having a blog, I can go back and look them up, otherwise I would not have remembered them at all!
Here they are:
1. Try a new recipe each week. I actually did really well with this one. I feel like I cooked more this past year than I ever had previously. I think part of it was because I discovered that I really enjoyed photographing my food. And I really didn’t want to photograph something from a box. Weird motivation, but it worked!
2. Keep up with running after I run a big race. I did okay with this. I ended up running quite a few races in 2009. I think I ran eight – three 5Ks, two 10Ks, a 15K and two half-marathons. Signing up for new races definitely kept me running.
3. Stop gossiping. I’m not really sure where this came from. I must have felt guilty for talking shit about someone when I wrote it. I declare this resolution N/A.
4. Dress better. Well considering I kept waiting to lose those 10 pounds before I bought any new clothes and never lost them, this was a major fail.
5. Stop drinking to get drunk. I think that I’ve gotten better about this. Sort of. Basically, I pretty much only drink when I’m out with friends in a social environment. I cut WAY down on drinking at home and drinking during the week. But I didn’t exactly cut down how many drinks I had when I’m out drinking if that makes any sense. Still, it’s progress.
6. Record what I’m eating. Eh, I don’t have the patience for this. I try to do it sometimes during the day but then never feel like keeping up with it at night.
I don’t think I consciously thought of these resolutions during the year, but it’s interesting to see what I thought I needed to change in my life one year ago and how that differs from what I feel like I need to work on for the next year. And what is that? I still have ten days to figure it out.
I kind of felt like a human garbage disposal today. These stupid sweets in the break room are going to be the end of me. I cannot stop picking when I go to refill my water bottle. Maybe they’ll get thrown away after Christmas. Hopefully. Really did I need a cup of stale caramel popcorn this afternoon? Don’t answer that.
I had my first Tempo run of my half mary training today. I think I was a little lofty with my time goal. I put in that I’d run a half at 2:12 because I wanted to PR in the next one. But really, my fastest time is 2:17. I just noticed that this plan says that if I follow it, I’ll run the half in 2:08. I think I might revise it to go just a tad slower. Or maybe I should just push myself. So yeah, tempo runs suck. That’s all I have to say about that. I did a 5 mile run which included a 1 mile warm-up, 3 mile tempo and 1 mile cool down. I wasn’t even running the tempo portion that fast; it was at 6.1. For some reason, I felt like the treadmill was on an incline even though it wasn’t. It sucked but I soldiered through. I’ve never had any sort of mantra before, but I kept telling myself, “You have to run faster to get faster.”